Friday, November 19, 2010

Christmas is Here

At home, that is.  

When we moved into our place 5 years ago, we didn't have a Christmas tree.  Every year, I'd always say, I'll get one after the holiday season (coz it'll be cheaper then) for use the next year.  Never got to.  

When I became pregnant, I promised myself to get a tree in time for my child's first Christmas.  I kept delaying the purchase because the prices continued to dissuade me. I continued to search. I knew there was a tree out there that would be perfect for our home that we can afford. God must have seen how desperate and determined I was to find the perfect one that he gave me one!  Through the kindness of my boss/friend who luckily (for me) had an extra Christmas tree that she wanted to dispose of!  And, believe it or not, it was exactly the kind I was looking for.  (Well, I would've gone for something a bit smaller, but who am I to complain?!)

And so, I used the budget for the tree to splurge at little on decors to spruce the tree up.  I went for traditional decors --- balls, snowflakes, ribbons, stars, etc. During Tiago's first Christmas --- he was 5months, he absolutely enjoyed staring in awe at the Christmas lights.  Last year,  at 1.5yo, he still enjoyed the lights, but had more fun trying to pick the balls out of the tree and bounced them around!  I ended up moving most of the decors to the upper part of the tree where he can't reach them. 

So this year, I decided to make our tree more kid friendly but keeping the tradition Christmas colors of red and green.  Now, we have teddy bears, gingerbread men and angels donning our tree.Not only does Tiago like the decors, he can also touch and play with them without me getting a heart attack from worrying he might hurt himself. 


It's gonna be another Merry Christmas.  I just know it. :)

No comments: