Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Officially in my late 30s

Yeah. Before I know it, the big 4-0 will sneak up on me just like that.  It seems just yesterday when I blogged about being in my mid-30s. I'm not complaining, though. I honestly don't feel old. I don't look it either! In fact, oftentimes, people cannot believe that I am way older than I look! I feel great and my life is as perfect as I can possibly imagine. I cannot thank God enough for the wonderful life he has given me --- a life with 2 wonderful boys --- Myke and Tiago.

Thing is, when one is pushing 40, with one child who's 2 years old, it is quite inevitable to be asked when is baby number 2 coming.  Some would even flat out say, "Sundan na yan!".   Of course, I know they all mean well. And I understand where they are coming from --- biological clock is ticking, hard to be pregnant when you're older, so Tiago won't grow up to be spoiled, Tiago needs a sibling, it's fun to have more than one, etc. etc.

I know it's harder to be pregnant (even get pregnant) when one is older.  However, I believe, in this day and age, anything is possible.  It just takes a bit more preparation and effort, but it's possible.  A lot of my friends can attest to that.

Tiago is growing up to be a well-rounded child.  We can proudly say he is not spoiled (definitely not a brat) and he is such a happy child.   He seems to be doing fine by himself.  I've been doing my own research about the only child syndrome and it's been debunked by so many recent researches (my favorite is the one from TIME magazine).  My only child friends even say it's no big deal.

My husband and I really wanted 2 children.   Tiago, our first, was planned.  Having him in our life has been such a joy.  However, the challenges of raising a child had made me think twice whether I want another one. There are days I feel it would be good to have another one, and there are days when I say, one is enough.  Thankfully, my husband shares the same sentiments.

We are still undecided. We are definitely not ready for another one right now.  I am forever weighing the pros and cons of whatever decision we will make.  However, I am confident that the answer will come as a light bulb moment at the perfect time.  As perfect as my life is right now.

No comments: